Friday, January 1, 2010






A very Happy New Year to you all! We celebrated with a bit of a party, and it was great to see everyone. The evening got off to an interesting start as there was a partial lunar eclipse and it was a beautiful clear night, so we had a good view. The evening continued clear and bright - with the snow on the mountains it was almost like daylight. A good time was had by all, thanks to chief entertainer Suzanne, and to the rest of the Halls, the Brodies, the McDowells, the Guilfoyle/Claffeys, the Fitzgeralds, the Pryers, and to the McSweeneys! The kids all went out in the dark to make snowmen and go sledging, and we even managed to squeeze fifteen in to stay overnight. New Years Day was bright and sunny, and we had chief scout Andy Jones up on Stradbally mountain checking the snow - it wasn't bad, but as Garry had his snowboard here we ventured up the mountain opposite to see what it was like. There was plenty of snow, a little hard at the top, but still pretty good. The views from the top of the hill were fantastic, you almost felt like just carrying on hiking. What a laugh to be snowboarding in Kerry! The rest of the crew had fun on the other side of the hill, walking and sledging: they also found loads of icicles where water on the peat bog had dripped down from the moss. Garry had an ambition to snowboard and surf all in one day and got to do both as there were nice clean waves at Gowlane. I went back up for another session, so maybe I was right when I said we should be running a ski/snowboard chalet! What a great start to the year.....

1 comment:

Peggy Bentley said...

I am loving these stories and pictures! Especially the snowboarding video!
Well, I think if I had stayed in Ireland another week, I may have been snowed in!
I will send some pictures soon. I've been sick with a bad cold, but am feeling alive again.
Already thinking so fondly of my friends on Dingle.